Friday, April 16, 2010

Hooray! The Race is Tomorrow!

It’s a day like today that makes me realize I absolutely did the right thing by volunteering to chair the 2010 Race for the Cure. It’s the Friday before the Race and there is so much excitement, enthusiasm and emotion. It’s all come down to this – and it’s incredible.

  • As I hugged my kids this morning I was reminded of a funny story of my daughter. I took Bailey to one of the executive committee meetings this year and when I introduced her I said I was involved with Race for the Cure so that “when Bailey gets boobies we’ll have a cure for breast cancer.” She was terribly embarrassed – and mortified because I said she was going to have boobies. It just made me smile.
  • Then, I walked into the warehouse and packet pick-up to hear that our numbers are at 40,041 – and registration is still open (actually open Race Day through Apr. 24), so that number will continue to rise. Thanks to everyone who is taking time out of their Saturday morning to walk, run or sleep-in for the Cure.
  • I passed by the fundraising table to hear that fundraising is up 36% from last year, which is incredible – that’s more mammograms and breast cancer educational programs and services Komen Indianapolis can fund in Central Indiana. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to such an incredible cause.
  • I stopped by the merchandise corner only to see that MainGate brought out even more cool stuff. Thanks to them for their partnership. Up to 25% from sales comes back to Komen.
  • I was interviewed by Fox 59 and learned that they want to come down to the Race and cover the event. We have a great media partner with WTHR, but it’s great to know that both WISH TV and FOX 59 have contacted us and are interested in promoting the Race. Thanks to our friends in the media for raising awareness of the event and the cause.

And here’s where it all comes full circle … I opened my e-mail to find a message from a college friend who just discovered that his wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer. He was asking if I could call him after the Race to talk about available resources for his wife and family -- and ways he could get involved.

I can’t wait to see what the rest of the day – and tomorrow will bring.

(by the way, I'm so excited that my talented friend, Tana Lopez Younger, flew in from DC to document the Race. Stop by next week to see her pictures and hear about the Race.)

No comments:

Post a Comment